Implant Supported Dentures
If you are missing multiple teeth, implant-supported dentures may be an option. Implant-supported dentures offer numerous benefits over traditional dentures, including increased stability, comfort, and improved oral health. This guide will look in-depth at implant-supported dentures, their advantages, and what to expect during treatment.
The experienced team at Biddulph Family Dental of Brooklyn, OH, proudly serves the local community with premium dental care services, replacing, restoring, and strengthening your teeth so that you can enjoy your daily activities without pain and discomfort.
What are Implant-Supported Dentures?
Implant-supported dentures are a type of denture that is anchored to dental implants that have been surgically placed in your jawbone. The implants provide a secure base for the denture, preventing it from slipping or shifting in your mouth. Implant-supported dentures are available in removable and fixed forms, depending on your specific needs and preferences.
What are the Benefits of Implant-Supported Dentures?
There are several benefits of implant-supported dentures, including:
- Increased Stability: Implant-supported dentures offer more stability and support than traditional dentures. This means the denture is less likely to slip or shift, providing a more comfortable and confident fit.
- Improved Oral Health: Traditional dentures can lead to bone loss in the jaw over time, resulting in changes to your facial structure. Implant-supported dentures, on the other hand, stimulate the jawbone and prevent bone loss, maintaining your facial structure and overall oral health.
- Better Consumption and Speech: Since implant-supported dentures are more stable than traditional dentures, you can eat and speak more comfortably and confidently. You can enjoy a broader range of foods without worrying about your denture slipping or causing discomfort.
- Durability: Implant-supported dentures are more durable than traditional dentures and can last for many years with proper care and maintenance.
What is the Treatment Process for Implant-Supported Dentures?
The treatment process for implant-supported dentures typically involves several steps:
- Consultation: The first step is to schedule a consultation with your dentist to determine if implant-supported dentures suit you. During the consultation, we will evaluate your oral health, take x-rays and impressions of your mouth, and discuss the procedure.
- Implant Placement: If you are a good candidate for implant-supported dentures, the next step is to place the dental implants in your jawbone. This is typically done under local anesthesia or sedation to ensure comfort during the procedure.
- Healing and Integration: After placing the implants, you will need to allow time for your jawbone to heal and the implants to integrate with your natural bone.
- Abutment Placement: Your dentist will attach abutments once the implants have fully integrated with your jawbone. Abutments are small metal posts that protrude from the gums and provide an attachment point for the denture.
- Denture Insertion: Your custom-made denture will be attached to the abutments, providing a secure and comfortable fit.
Your Quality Dental Care Provider
Implant-supported dentures offer numerous benefits over traditional dentures, including increased stability, improved oral health, and better eating and speaking. If you are interested in implant-supported dentures, the first step is to schedule a consultation with your dentist to determine if they are a suitable option for you.
During your next consultation with the bright team at Biddulph Family Dental of Brooklyn, OH, you can be sure you receive the appropriate care and guidance you and your loved ones deserve.